Sunday 26 December 2010

THERE IS NO SUCH PLACE AS FAR AWAY (because differences make you different)

The Danish girl, the major sister, she’s blonde but walking in the street her hair became a respectful golden chador. She introduced me to the healthy world of Oats. She left, but the flag of Denmark lives in our flat. I love her business card, with the yellow network of world cities visited.

The Dutch girl, the tallest one, she has got the longest Punjabi in town, to avoid in case of group picture. She’s veg, she loves Shawarma House restaurant and she hates Gulshan Plaza Restora (but only because Regina and I have survived after the meal, and she got diarrhea). She lives in Rotterdam but she’s punctual as a Swiss clock.

The Japanese girl, the cartoon one, she asked me if all the Italian are “funny and hot” like me, I didn’t ask anything because –now- I know the answer to an old doubt: what we see and call “Japanese cartoon” are for them simple sit-comedies and reality shows. She loves chocolate.

The Australian girl, the quickest tongue, I have ever known that kangaroos are able to jump, now I know that often they jump directly into the pot: murderers. Her father is a photographer.

The Austrian girl, the pretty daughter in the family TV spot who -with blonde curly hair and green eyes- pushes you to buy something that your daughter doesn’t need. Dhaka doesn’t offer anything, even she’s the only one that comes with me, we practice night-urban-trekking, English lessons, wi-fi fishing and Lonely Planet’s upgrading.

The Hong Kong guy/1, the mountain with a tender heart, he’s big as much as he’s good, I would like hug him every night before sleep, he’s really in love with his girlfriend. He’s watching “Love Actually”, and for sure he’s thinking about her.

The Hong Kong guy/2, the chinese metaphor, serious-folk-clever-hardworker, he’s a big eater –like China- that will eat all of us. He’s really in love with his girlfriend, very often I listen him and it’s incredible how love makes nice a frigid language as chinese.

The Japanese guy, the other half of the apple, he’s my exact opposite and for this we are a magic couple, he’s polite, he respects the rules, he doesn’t joke with the girls, he speaks few but he’s always right, he’s constant. His girlfriend is beautiful, and he loves her. He’s watching “Titanic”, and for sure he’s thinking about here.

The Indian guy, the Indian metaphor, young-dreamer-smart-still inexperienced, he’s full of hopes and –like India- there will be a better future for him. He’s 4th dan of Karate, he practice transcendental meditation, he will introduce me to meditation because I have to be quite even if the tea-seller asks me 10 taka for a chai that costs only 6. He said that he started to love Bangladesh “only after knowing Regina and me”.

1 comment: